” kaddu ka halwa ” pumpkin halwa recipe
Ingredients (american measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2.5 to 3 cups chopped pumpkin or kaddu or petha
- ½ cup coconut or palm sugar
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee (the halwa taste good with ghee)
- 2 tsp melon seeds or magaz
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped mixed dry fruits (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
- ¾ th cup water
- peel and chop kaddu or pumpkin into small cubes. smaller the better.
- heat the oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- add the kaddu pieces in the pressure cooker
- and saute till they are start releasing water or for approx 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- add water and stir.
- cover and pressure cook the kaddu pieces for 4-5 whistles.
- *for making the halwa in a pan, check notes below.
- open the lid when the pressure settles down
- and check if the kaddu pieces have softened or not.
- they should be of mashable consistency.
- if they have not cooked thoroughly, then pressure cook for few more minutes, adding some more water, if required.
- once the kaddu pieces have cooked well then place the pressure cooker on fire and keep to simmer.
- after 1-2 minutes, add sugar and cardamom powder.
- cook the mixture stirring often till it thickens.
- the consistency of the halwa should like be a pudding or pumpkin puree.
- the water should reduce in the halwa.
- you can thicken it more if you want.
- add the melon seeds and dry fruits and cook the halwa for 1-2 minutes more.
- serve kaddu ka halwa or pumpkin halwa warm or cold.
- you can also garnish the pumpkin halwa with melon seeds.
if making in a pan, when the pumpkin cubes begin to loose water, add ¾ cup water from above. stir and cover and cook till the pumpkin pieces have softened completely. if the water dries up then add more water. then proceed with the rest of the recipe.