discovered Ragi in India recently and it feels extreamly comfortable in my stomach !
Ragi Idli Recipe
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup, soak in water for 2 to 3 hours
- Cream of rice – 1 cup (Idli rava)
- Ragi flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Cooking soda – pinch
- Soak urad dal for about 2 to 3 hrs. Soak the idli rava in water separately for an hour before mixing with urad dal batter. After 2 hours drain the water from the urad dal and grind to a smooth paste adding 3/4 cup of water.
- Squeeze out the water from the cream of rice and add to the ground urad dal batter. Add the ragi flour and mix. Mix well till well combined.
- Place the mixture in a warm place for 8-10 hours or overnight to let the idli mixture ferment. The fermentation is slow in winter and quick during summer. The key to soft and fluffy idlis is in the fermentation process.
- After 10 hours you will find that the mixture will be double the original volume. After fermentation, add salt and pinch of soda bi carbonate and mix well. The batter is now ready to make idlis.
- Grease idli maker plates with some oil and fill with idli batter. Steam covered for about 10-12 minutes and remove each idli carefully with a spatula.,Serve with sambar or chutney of your choice..